We are a local-based non-profit organization called YAYASAN NURUL AZHAR FOSTER PARENT FOUNDATION located in ORONG GERISAK, TETEBATU UTARA EAST LOMBOK, the southern base of majestic Rinjani volcano. Our organization was officially established early 2014 but we have been working long before that. Our main focus on community development trough self-motivated programs has resulted in a significant change in enhancing our community`s quality of life. By the time, new ideas and perspectives have enlarged our area of concern encompasses: education, environmental conservation, entrepreneurship, ecotourism, skills and creativity.
We are aware of the vast changes encounter by our community, for that reason we introduce several initiatives to help them prepare.
• Building awareness on the impact of development in the form of information and technology
• Expose them to the outside world trough our volunteering program where they are given a chance to experience the glimpse of different culture and way of life and vice versa.
• Gain new ideas and broader perspectives by interacting with various cultures world wide
Vision and Mission
To create a self-sustaining local community who is responsible for and actively engaged in developing local natural and human resources.
• To improve the quality of local natural and human resources through the development of an alternative education program
• To facilitate the development of local talent and creativity by providing required equipment and practical infrastructure
• To facilitate the development of local business
• To support the development of skills of individuals and groups through scholarships and financial awards
• We conduct all forms of activity above in accordance with local socio-cultural and local-genius principles and honor the spirit of mutual assistance.
As a local-based nonprofit organization, we are working with the grass root hand in hand with the local government and related NGOs, as we believe that development should position its people as an actor instead of object. We continue believing that we should humbly make one step backward by asking them what they need and how they want to meet those needs.
We enjoy the comfort brought by a fruitful development programs and at the same time witness the miseries and sad stories, here and whole over the world. We can no longer live without phones and bikes, so suddenly technology became necessity. At the other hand, our society is not ready to be confronted to such vast changes that information and technology has brought along. We are switching from a need-based consumption society into a want-based consumption society. The collective changes of social behavior are inevitable.
As young generation, we are obliged to help prepare our community to encounter and handle the external influences in a proper way. We are aware that our task is not an easy one, for that reason we are in need of new ideas and different perspectives in order to formulate a suitable concept of development. We welcome volunteers or other interested parties to come help us plan and implement our programs.
Our position as facilitator required us to balance our opinion and judgment before proceeding to voice our argument or offering alternative solutions. We are the extended hand of our people to speak their aspiration and for our government to better listen and act. And most importantly, we develop our own initiatives and implement them; for we know and understand our people and their problems best.
Considering the complexity of interrelated issues on social, culture, environment and economic our society are facing, we are challenged to create strategies that best accommodate every party`s needs and interests. Also considering our internal resources as an organization, both human and technical; we decided to narrow-down our area of work namely on:
We are working independently providing alternative education in the forms of after school free English classes for school age kids, Guides and Porters, and Housewives, Illiteracy alleviation and encouraging literacy.
Nature provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs but not for every man’s greed. We have witnessed and experienced the consequence of our injustice action towards nature by over exploiting its resources. We encourage our community to do a self- reforestation, water resources preservation, and building awareness on natural conservation and cleanliness.
To enforce the local economic growth and sustainability, our organization also established several self-sustained business unit by supervising our local partner in creative work.
Area mapping and supervise the self-supporting community group on their activities in the Rinjani Mountain National Park and the area around it.
Skills and Creativity
In order to explore the hidden skill and creativity of the community especially younger generation, we conduct trainings in the form of creative works towards local resources balanced-utilization
Costs for a one-week stay are USD 110 and USD 400 for one month per person. We would love to have you for any amount of time; obviously for you and for us the longer your stay the more rewarding and beneficial your efforts will be. We make sure that the amount you pay will be allocated into:
1. Host family
The host family provides you accommodation and three meals a day, plus unlimited supply of tea and coffee.
2. Community development activities
• Training and educating local farmers in eco-agriculture and the re-introduction of traditional organic fertilizers. The use of chemical based fertilizers has, over time, drastically reduced soil quality and forced farmers to become dependent on more powerful and expensive variants. We want to break this cycle.
• Funding various kind of relevant trainings and other annual program
• Scholarships for local children which will allow them to complete their basic school education. Many families in ORONG GERISAK, TETEBATU are unable to financially support the education of their children. This means that many children do not finish school and join their families in the fields from a young age.
• Buying supplies for our Community: exercise books, pencils, art supplies, computers, desks.
• Providing a salary for our hard-working teachers in the YAYASAN NURUL AZHAR FOSTER PARENT FOUNDATION
• Funding our annual reforestation program. We start planting as soon as the rainy season comes on November, while the seedling process starts around June or July.
• Funding our environmental awareness campaign
5. Operational expenses
During your stay we are responsible for your mobilization and safety; we will appoint a guide who will act as your driver as well as assistance in your daily activities.
6. Cash reserve
We have formulated several long term plans which to our estimation will require a bigger amount of financial support. For this reason we are saving a small percentage from the cash you pay for your volunteering program.
Above are our annual program for the year 2014, there may be other programs come on the way, we are trying to work in a flexible manner to better accommodate a sudden needs and changes.